A clinic can be described as a medical institution which renders healthcare services for general purposes. Clinics can be started and run by a single medical practitioner and usually requires a small space. Running a clinic gives you considerable experience in dealing with patients, managing it, and also understanding the financial dynamics of it.
To know what is a polyclinic, it is a more organised institution which provides treatments for specific health issues and is usually divided into departments like ENT, dermatology, cardiology, etc.
Once you have mustered enough experience you can seek to expand your clinic into a polyclinic.
Polyclinic and clinic: A comprehensive difference
There are few technical differences resting between them; these are –
- Volume of patients: Most clinics are operated and managed by a single doctor. Therefore, the volume of outpatients in these is lower compared to a polyclinic.
Polyclinics are managed by multiple doctors and staff; therefore, these can handle a large number of patients.
- Pharmacy: Most clinics do not have a separate or designated pharmaceutical store. Therefore, patients need to go through the inconvenience of travelling to one located afar to purchase medicines.
However, in what is polyclinic, there is a pharmacy within its confines for the outpatients.
- Diagnostic facilities: As most clinics are first-time ventures for medical practitioners, these lack diagnostic facilities due to unavailability of necessary investments.
A polyclinic, on the other hand, is operated by several doctors who bring in substantial investments to afford advanced diagnostic facilities and professionals to use those.
- Equipment: In case of clinics, there is less equipment compared to polyclinics. Clinics usually deal with general health services, which do not require advanced equipment.
However, polyclinics need advanced equipment to adequately serve the patients and compete with other reputed polyclinics. They can either buy or lease this equipment depending on what strategy they adopt to reap financial benefits.
- Staff: In most cases, clinics are single-handedly managed by one doctor.
In case of polyclinics, there are staff to assist and run every department of it such as nurses, pharmacists, receptionists, etc. This helps in patient engagement as they are treated better and their every need is taken care of.
- Cost: The basic costs to start a clinic include renting/leasing/buying a space, furnishing the space, embellishments if required, and electrical expenses. Hence, the investments are considerably less.
Whereas, a polyclinic includes several costs other than those. Such as staff salaries, pharmaceutical costs, etc. Therefore, when medical professionals open a polyclinic, they can easily avail a loan for doctors to reduce their financial stress.
Upgrading from a clinic to polyclinic is a huge task and requires intense planning, proper and reliable network, and solid financial, managerial, bureaucratic strategies. There are applications like Lybrate for doctors, which help in sorting out most of these tasks.
There are networking platforms that doctors must be on present on to build their connections with other professionals.
Why are polyclinics a good investment?
Polyclinics offer more or less similar services compared to a hospital. However, their charges are less than the latter. Therefore, in what is a polyclinic, it attracts more patients and thus has better financial leverage.
The initial cost might be significantly higher; however, if you equip your polyclinic with the most advanced technologies and equipment among your contemporaries, you have a better chance of securing a steady influx of patients; this will ensure better revenue.
You can avail practice management software to help in your initial stages, so that you don’t get overwhelmed with the newness of it all.
However, things don’t end once you move past the initial stages. You and your team should be consistent in your efforts and aim to improve your services for the purpose of coping up with the competition. It is one of the reasons to upgrade your medical equipment to keep serving the patients with the most advanced medical technologies and secure steady.
Now that you know what is polyclinic, you can indulge in planning, developing network, gathering funds, etc. before you take the leap to start one.