Buying a storage bins is just the first part of organizing your living space. The choices are endless (can be stacked or nested, rolling or fixed, big or small, plastic or metal, wicker or fabric, the list goes on). Once you purchase them and take them home, you must decide how and where to use them for cleaning, storing, and classifying items.
Here are some helpful tips you can use to make sure you use them instead of sitting in the basement or garage.
- Tick the bins so you don’t get confused about where to go. That way, no matter who gets rid of the stuff (you, neighbor’s child, babysitter), the item ends in the right place.
- The color bins are color coded so everyone knows the bins they belong to.
- If you put dirty items (such as shoes) or items that may leak out (water bottles), attach the bins to the shelf using paper or cardboard.
- If you plan to move the storage bins from room to room regularly (or if you need to remove it once a year to decorate a holiday), choose a wheel storage container so you don’t have to carry it around.
- If the storage bins has a lid, make sure it is securely fastened.
- A clear storage bins allows you to see what’s inside. However, if the bins are outside, you should consider a sealed container to hide the contents.
When storing items that need to be emptied or ventilated (outdoor or pool toys, winter hats, gloves), look for crates with holes or wires.
If you’re like me, you may have a wide variety of fashion jewelry. Green, blue, rich orange and earthy brown form a colorful bow inside the shoe bins. I love to jump in the bins and see designs of matching clothes with beautiful colors.
It can be difficult to get ready in the morning (even in a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes) because all the accessories will fade away. An interlocking necklace, I can’t find the two earrings, the ring looks missing.
The traditional jewelry bins smells my style very formal and elegant. Look from my closet location. You have to see things at a glance.
I think the solution is a large clear storage bins. The simple stackable bins are great for shoe storage, but are great for separating and organizing accessories.
You used to store pairs in your closet using a regular package of new shoes. The problem I face is that in a bin packed, I often forget that I have the style and it’s lost. However, if you use the same transparent storage bins that you use for jewelry in your shoes, you can see at a glance what is available and leave it dust-free.